Filing an insurance claim can be a daunting task. You don’t want to get taken advantage of, you need your insurer to cover all your storm damage repairs, and you certainly don’t need the stress and hassle of haggling over details with an agent who wants to nickle-and-dime you (or worse, deny your claim!).
Based on our decades of experience helping customers through this process, we’ve compiled a list of recommendations for how to file a storm damage insurance claim:
Filing Your Storm Damage Claim
- No matter how much you personally like your agent, remember that they’re employed by your insurance company, and they’re a business that needs to make money. To ensure that you receive fair coverage for your claim, start of by getting at least one free inspection and repair estimate from a reputable contractor, like us! Be aware, any contractor referred by your insurance company may receive incentives to save the insurance company money, at your expense.
- Call the “800” number on your insurance policy and ask for the Claims Department.
- Tell the representative that you’d like to file a claim for damage to your roof and home exterior (if applicable).
- Remember that the “date of loss” is the day you first noticed the damage, not the date on which the damage occurred.
- If asked what prompted you to file a claim, inform the insurance company that many roofs in your neighborhood are being replaced, so you had yours inspected by 1st Choice Roofing & Construction, who supplied you with a whole home assessment including photos cataloging your storm damage repair needs.
- Your insurance carrier will then assign you a claim number and inform you that a field insurance adjuster will be contacting you within 24 to 72 hours to schedule an appointment to inspect your roof.
- The insurance adjuster will then contact you and schedule an appointment. They should providing their name, cell number, and the date and time they’ll be at your residence.
- Finally, contact your 1st Choice Roofing & Construction representative and provide them with your appointment information. We’ll plan accordingly to meet with the adjuster on your behalf. In this way, 1st Choice Roofing & Constructionis your advocate as you file your insurance claim. We will ensure that your receive a fair damage assessment, and that you’re approved to have all relevant damage to your home completely repaired.